You may have heard a lot about pay per click advertising or other ways to make money online, but your a not really sure what it all means or how to go about getting started. There are many things to consider when trying to start making money online. Affiliate programs are a very popular way of making money online without having to put up any initial investment or without having to put in a lot of long grueling hours.
Here we would like to review some of the basics to look for when you are trying to find the best affiliate program for you.
- Check into the company. Find out how long they have been in business and how well they run their business. You want to be sure that they are easy to contact and that they will provide you with the support and help you may need but also that they are going to provide excellent service to the customers you send their way. If you send them a lead, you want to know that they will be able to close the sale.
- Once you find a company you want to work with find out as many specifics as you can about how they pay their affiliates. If they offer several different products you will want to make sure that you will get credit for the sale no matter which product is purchased. You may also want to find out how often they pay you and if you have to meet a minimum amount before they will send out payment.
- Make sure you have an accurate way to track the sales you send to them. Find out if you only get credit for the sale if it is placed online or if customers can give your affiliate id when they order over the phone, by fax, or by mail. The best affiliate programs will allow you to send referrals through any medium.
- Ask what the referral length is. Often consumers will check out a product then look for comparable products to make sure they are getting the best deal. You want to be sure that if you send a lead to a website and they come back the next day, or in a week or two, and make a purchase that you will get credit for the sale. Most companies have at least a 30 days “cookie duration” (cookies keep track of who visits a site under your affiliate id).
- Learn about the structure of the affiliate program. If it is a subscription service do you get paid when someone renews a subscription? Can you have affiliates sign up under you. If you tell someone about the affiliate program you are involved in and they decide to join as an affiliate many companies will give you a “second tier” affiliate payment. Meaning you get a percentage of every sale that the affiliate you referred makes.
Affiliate programs can be quite complicated but if you do a little research before jumping in head first, you will be a lot more likely to find success. As with any job, it will take some time and effort but if you are dedicated you may just find a great way to make money online.